My Tea Break

Rediscovering Tea around the world

Oolong: The blue green Tea

3 Comments

Oolong Tea was first produced in the Fujian province in China during the Ming dinasty, around 400 years ago.

Oolong  process requires a big amount of hand work. The tea leaves are handpicked during the morning in units of one bud and three leaves. The leaves are then left to dry in the sun, which begins the process of fermentation and oxidation.  The fermentation stops when 30% of the leaves are red and 70% are still green.  The leaves are then pan fried to create this semi-fermented Tea. The leaves look curly and crispy at the end of the process.  At the final stage, an Honorary Tea Master grades the quality of each batch.

Oolong dried Tea leaves

It is important to note that there are several types of Oolong Tea and the fermentation period varies by region. In China, Oolong is usually prepared to achieve a 20% fermentation which results in a lighter flavour while in Taiwan the fermentation period is longer achieving almost 70% of the fermentation and resulting in a much stronger flavour.

The flavour of Oolong Tea is typically not as robust as Black or as light as Green, but has its own extremely fragrant and intriguing tones. Oolong Teas are fully bodied in flavour and the aromas and flavours can range from green and flower to black and roasted. Oolong Tea is often scented with jasmine flowers.

Oolong Tea is highly rich in polyphenolic compounds, adding value health benefits. According to scientific experiments, Oolong Tea can help the treatment of skin disorders and protects against skin cancer, promotes a good bone structure and dental health and also helps control stress levels. Oolong is also very good for digestion and weight control as it reduces triglyceride and enhances the function of fat cells in the human body.

Tomorrow we will give you a step by step on how to brew the perfect cup of Oolong.

Happy Tea Break. 🙂

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Oolong: The blue green Tea

  1. I’m skeptical of health claims about tea…I usually refrain from writing about them unless I’m citing a specific study. It’s true that there is a growing body of scientific evidence supporting some of the supposed health benefits of tea, but I also think that the benefits are often overstated by both tea companies and bloggers.

    Also, I’ve seen little evidence that any one class of teas, such as green, black, oolong, or white teas, is universally healthier than others, or has any particularly special health properties. There may be some subtle differences but these differences are not well-understood and there’s not much solid science to say that one particular type of tea is special.

    All that said, I absolutely love oolong…it’s delicious and very diverse. Many of my all-time favorite teas are oolongs. I especially love the se chung oolongs.

  2. After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

  3. Yeah bookmaking this wasn’t a speculative decision outstanding post! .